Thursday, May 22, 2008

Brownie is Ready For Paint (again)

I finished up the disc fork this afternoon, and I think it came out pretty well. And I'm finally unveiling the fendette. It's an idea I've had for a while, and felt like experimenting with. I've got the strap on fenders that cover the rear of the wheel, but there was always a small amount of spray from the front. So it should help with that. But of course I'd be lying if I said it was totally for the sole purpose of being functional. I figured I'd style it a bit and do some lug-work type edges. So let me know what you think.


I also decided on the cable routing. With the comment from Sandbox, I definitely won't make a fork like this for anyone else until I get some serious miles on it. But with using fork legs with thicker than usual wall thickness, to better handle the stress of the disc brake, and also using the shortest cable guide braze-on I had to minimize the stress riser, I'm not too worried about it. But still, a risk I don't want to put on anyone else.


I also put some eyelets on the seat tube for a pump mount. I've never really liked the pump on the down tube (mainly looks), and using the normal eyelets, it was getting in the way. So, I'm experimenting with this to see if it's out of the way in both the visual and functional. If this doesn't work, my other idea was the seat stay. Who knows, it's just fun to be able to put things wherever I feel like. The more I do, the more I'll know.

5 comments:

Nico Toscani said...

Dear Fellet,

That fendette is fucking genuis, I wish I had a little duck-bill on my fork to shield me from road spray. Double-check your list and make sure it reads Nico Tosacani (somewhere before Casey Ryback). We'll be in contact...

FelletBrazing said...

Ha ha, thanks man!

Right now the build list is as follows:

My mountain bike
Mike Gardner's Road bike
Justin Bruss's Road bike
Nico Toscani's Cross bike?
Casey Ryback's Cross bike?

I'll give everyone a heads up before it's their turn to finalize any style wishes, component specs, and start stashing some cash aside. But start thinking about it now, so you're not rushing the decisions when it's time.

Casey Ryback said...

As a heads up, I am going to change my bike to a penny-farthing with built-in aero bars.

FelletBrazing said...

Only if you can find a carbon deep dish rim and bladed spokes that long! Or maybe a huge spinergy four spoke!

TeamSeagal said...

by the way, old school dance music is teh r0xx0rz.

-C. Ryback

Hit Counters
REI Coupon